UPDATE: The review period has begun and applications will be accepted until July 31, 2015.
The Victoria Bach Festival in Victoria, Texas seeks a conductor or performer to serve as Artistic Director of the annual June festival beginning in the 2016-2017 season.
- Design, coordinate, and direct Festival programming
- Collaborate with and guide the Creative Team (Chamber Music Director and New Young Artist Coordinator) to development an annual performance schedule including free, ticketed, and outreach concerts.
- Design or approve design of each concert performance including theme development and integration of guest artists, ensembles, soloists and visual elements.
- Work with Artist Contractor to select musicians for concert projects.
- Work with Artist Contractor to organize a rehearsal schedule.
- Work with Librarian to establish music editions and purchases.
- Conduct auditions as needed.
- Promote the Festival and its mission
- Work with the musicians, Board, staff, and volunteers to promote a positive atmosphere within the organization.
- Network with other arts organizations, music directors, and community groups to increase the visibility of the Festival and to encourage collaboration.
- Communicate regularly with Board and leadership
- Attend Board meetings and/or provide reports to the Board.
- Attend and provide input for the annual Leadership retreat
- Perform with Festival musicians in a conducting capacity or other leadership role.
- Provide supervision for music-related staff and volunteers
- Identify and supervise the activities of accompanists, rehearsal directors, and music-related staff.
- Marketing and Outreach
- Promote VBF in conjunction with the Executive Director. Includes radio and TV interviews, representing VBF in the community.
- Write narrative as needed for promotional purposes.
- Development and Finances
- Work with Development Committee on specific fundraising projects including sponsor meetings.
- Work with Executive Director to prepare annual artistic budget
The Artistic Director reports to the Board of Directors. The Chamber Music Director, New Young Artist Coordinator, Artist Contractor, Music Librarian, and musicians report to the Artistic Director. The Executive Director works with the Artistic Director and also reports to the Board of Directors.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Education: Advanced Degree in Music
- Performance Experience: 5-6 years conducting or leading ensembles.
- Interest in and commitment to embracing the mission the Festival.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse group of musicians, staff, and volunteers.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal.
The Artistic Director position is a part-time position of on average 5-10 hours per week, with peak direction between September and June. Salary is negotiable based on education and experience and is paid monthly. The range is currently $14,000-$20,000.
Submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants may also include links to online recordings or projects representing their work. Review of applications began July 1, 2015, and applications will be accepted until July 31, 2015. Finalists will be interviewed face-to-face in Victoria. Position begins September 1, 2016.
About the Victoria Bach Festival:
Mission: To educate and inspire musicians and audiences of all ages and backgrounds through high-quality and diverse orchestral, choral, and chamber music performances.
The Victoria Bach Festival was founded in Victoria, Texas in 1976. Victoria is a charming historic city at two hours distance from Houston, Austin, and San Antonio, located thirty miles from the Gulf coast
The outgoing Artistic Director, Grammy-winning conductor Craig Hella Johnson, has led the Victoria Bach Festival since 1992. The Artistic Director leads a Creative Team including Chamber Music Director Michelle Schumann and New Young Artist Coordinator Faith DeBow. Their collective expertise in chamber music, music education, and choral and orchestral performance shapes the Festival’s engaging musical experiences.
Festival week is a mix of intimate concerts by outstanding soloists and chamber groups; blockbuster oratorio and symphonic performances; and fun, informal family and outdoor concerts. Orchestral, choral, and chamber music is performed by local and nationally acclaimed artists in various venues in Victoria. In addition to the June Festival, VBF offers two to three concerts during the year.
The Festival is committed to performing masterworks of the classical repertoire as well as new music, and to giving local musicians the opportunity to perform with nationally acclaimed artists. Core values include artistic excellence, creativity, hospitality, accessibility, and fiscal responsibility. VBF is noted for its welcoming environment for musicians and audience members, and strives to be inclusive and accessible through outreach concerts, post-concert chats with artists, and open rehearsals.